Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blog #6 - Classification in My Life

I use a variety of methods for classifying different things in my life. My classifications can range from understanding quirks in certain groups of people to reminding myself of certain events by tricking my own brain.

One classification system that I use on a daily basis is the grouping of people in my mind. This alone does not separate myself from other people, as I know that most of my friends make social decisions based on the actions of others. However, I am sure that not everyone uses such a complex system of grouping and classification of people as I do.

Many people frown upon "judging" others just because of traits they have or things they do. I believe that evaluating others can be harmful to personal relationships, but can be used to understand characteristics of some people.

Usually, I classify others due to their interactions with other people, not necessarily myself. I observe how individuals treat strangers, their family and their friends. I pay attention to their personal quirks and tendencies and how these tendencies affect their character.
Each person that I have become acquainted with have traits unique to them. However, as I meet new people, I begin to see common traits amongst quite different individuals.
One example that has surprised me is the way in which people regard tipping after a meal or a service. I have always been taught to tip a generous amount, no matter how good or bad the service was. I have seen that many of my peers tip according to how satisfied they were after the event, if at all. This series of observations has lead me to categorize these people in a separate category. I do not actually discriminate against these people based on the sole reason that they tip in a different way than I would, but by subliminally creating these small subgroups, it helps me understand other characteristics of these people.
Another observation that I have made this past summer is the "pickiness" of people with respect to food. When I was younger, I used to absolutely despise tomatoes, along with many other foods. I was so picky about my food that I found myself not appreciating many different quality ethnic foods. However, as I grew up, I began to   enjoy the taste of tomatoes and at the same time began to develop an eclectic taste for different foods. I have observed that many people are repulsed even by the thought of trying a food that they didn't know existed. This usually tells me that these people have close-minded personalities and are not willing to try other things; even though I have met a couple of people who are extremely outgoing, just not with food.

By observing the behavior of people, I can classify their personalities using small categories that are common amongst many people with similar traits. Classification with respect to people has always been something that I have done naturally, and I believe it benefits me. Not only can it help me understand others, it can help me realize my character and change myself for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment