Screening processes are inherent in almost all careers. In the essay “The Chem 20 Factor” by Ellen Goodman, she describes the intense competition within Chem 20 in college. Every student scratched, clawed, scrambled, and crammed their way to success in that class in hopes of enhancing their chances to be accepted into a prestigious medical school. Chem 20 was, in effect, a preparation course for the treacherous lives ahead of them as doctors.
“Screening courses” can be equally applied to a variety of opportunities that are given to us as we move through the ranks of the education system.
While I was in elementary school, a program for “accelerated learners” was offered which was titled GATE, for Gifted And Talented Education. GATE’s purpose was to teach kids further constructive abilities that they could use in careers or in other situations in life. I failed the test to get into the GATE program the first time (I always had a tough time with patterns), but was accepted the next year. The program itself never directly benefited me, but its purpose was noble and I imagine that others got more out of the program than I did.
While attending Markham Elementary School, I was placed in the ACE program. There were many programs at Markham, all of which were aimed at a variety of different people with specified wants and needs. Among the other programs at Markham was the SPICE establishment. This was geared towards those who spoke more than one language or wanted to learn another language. As I look at the people who were schooled in the SPICE program now, I am envious of their mastery of another language, as I have always admired bilinguists and those who can mingle with other cultures with ease. However, I do not regret being raised from kindergarten through third grade in the ACE program because I made great friends and had wonderful teachers. By spending four years of my life in the ACE program, I believe I can look at many situations from different perspectives.
In middle school, there was a couple of accelerated (XL) classes available, and I took every one that was offered. I truly believe that the difficulty level in many of the XL classes was indistinguishable from that of normal XL classes. However, this may have also been another attempt to sort out students who wanted to prepare themselves for the future. Even so, this structure gives students a chance to evaluate themselves and to get a clearer perspective on the level of competitiveness their respective interests and careers will be.
In the last two years of high school, Advanced Placement courses are offered to students. The students usually take these classes to prove themselves to colleges that they are smart and capable enough to attend the colleges in the future. In addition to this, Advanced Placement classes can hone students’ skills and prepare them for college as well as careers. They can also help narrow down students’ interests in subjects like Physics and Spanish.
I think Advanced Placement courses are very beneficial to me as a student. Not only are most of my friends in the classes, I am beginning to understand what is expected of college level classes. Without AP classes, I think I would be absolutely shocked at the competitiveness and the expectations of Universities. My sister currently attends UC Berkeley, and, even after taking Advanced Placement courses in high school herself, she admits that the work is on a whole different level than high school. Not only does AP classes prepare me for the sheer workload in college, they help me grasp what I want to do with life. Currently, I find engineering, photography, and language fascinating. When I entered high school, I had no idea what I wanted to major in. As I continue to learn from AP classes as well as normal classes, I can narrow down what I am most interested in and pursue that in college. By taking AP courses, I have also realized that being accomplished in certain subjects does not necessarily make them my favorite, and vice versa. Previously, I thought I would go into college in an English major, because I wrote well. However, as I grew older, other subjects began to take my interest (That is not to say that my interests will not change again). Mathematics fascinates me, but the last two classes of Math have been the most challenging classes of my academic career. By continuing to work at improving at Math, it can be both my favorite and my easiest subject.
Advanced Placement courses have also humbled me greatly. Growing up in elementary school, middle school, and even at the start of high school I was at the very top of my class; everyone regarded me as one of the smartest (if not the smartest) person in the school. As I took the XL classes offered in freshman and sophomore years, that title was tarnished slightly, as I saw more and more people begin to match my intelligence and grades. This year I am exposed to a whole new array of brilliant minds, many of whom outshine my own abilities with ease. I realize that the title of the “smartest person in the school” will be fully demolished in a University. This does not make me try less, however. Instead, I am more motivated than ever to match the excellence of my fellow students, and will continue to do this throughout college and, eventually, my career.
There are many opportunities given to students as they rise through the ranks of the education system. They become more arbitrary as the students’ minds mature. The fact that students may choose to take whatever classes they wish enhances the overall effectiveness of the system. In the end, it is up to the student, not a parent or teacher, to guide themselves in their lives and to pursue their own interests. As I have grown, I have learned that life itself appears to be a “Chem 20 factor.”
“Screening courses” can be equally applied to a variety of opportunities that are given to us as we move through the ranks of the education system.
While I was in elementary school, a program for “accelerated learners” was offered which was titled GATE, for Gifted And Talented Education. GATE’s purpose was to teach kids further constructive abilities that they could use in careers or in other situations in life. I failed the test to get into the GATE program the first time (I always had a tough time with patterns), but was accepted the next year. The program itself never directly benefited me, but its purpose was noble and I imagine that others got more out of the program than I did.
While attending Markham Elementary School, I was placed in the ACE program. There were many programs at Markham, all of which were aimed at a variety of different people with specified wants and needs. Among the other programs at Markham was the SPICE establishment. This was geared towards those who spoke more than one language or wanted to learn another language. As I look at the people who were schooled in the SPICE program now, I am envious of their mastery of another language, as I have always admired bilinguists and those who can mingle with other cultures with ease. However, I do not regret being raised from kindergarten through third grade in the ACE program because I made great friends and had wonderful teachers. By spending four years of my life in the ACE program, I believe I can look at many situations from different perspectives.
In middle school, there was a couple of accelerated (XL) classes available, and I took every one that was offered. I truly believe that the difficulty level in many of the XL classes was indistinguishable from that of normal XL classes. However, this may have also been another attempt to sort out students who wanted to prepare themselves for the future. Even so, this structure gives students a chance to evaluate themselves and to get a clearer perspective on the level of competitiveness their respective interests and careers will be.
In the last two years of high school, Advanced Placement courses are offered to students. The students usually take these classes to prove themselves to colleges that they are smart and capable enough to attend the colleges in the future. In addition to this, Advanced Placement classes can hone students’ skills and prepare them for college as well as careers. They can also help narrow down students’ interests in subjects like Physics and Spanish.
I think Advanced Placement courses are very beneficial to me as a student. Not only are most of my friends in the classes, I am beginning to understand what is expected of college level classes. Without AP classes, I think I would be absolutely shocked at the competitiveness and the expectations of Universities. My sister currently attends UC Berkeley, and, even after taking Advanced Placement courses in high school herself, she admits that the work is on a whole different level than high school. Not only does AP classes prepare me for the sheer workload in college, they help me grasp what I want to do with life. Currently, I find engineering, photography, and language fascinating. When I entered high school, I had no idea what I wanted to major in. As I continue to learn from AP classes as well as normal classes, I can narrow down what I am most interested in and pursue that in college. By taking AP courses, I have also realized that being accomplished in certain subjects does not necessarily make them my favorite, and vice versa. Previously, I thought I would go into college in an English major, because I wrote well. However, as I grew older, other subjects began to take my interest (That is not to say that my interests will not change again). Mathematics fascinates me, but the last two classes of Math have been the most challenging classes of my academic career. By continuing to work at improving at Math, it can be both my favorite and my easiest subject.
Advanced Placement courses have also humbled me greatly. Growing up in elementary school, middle school, and even at the start of high school I was at the very top of my class; everyone regarded me as one of the smartest (if not the smartest) person in the school. As I took the XL classes offered in freshman and sophomore years, that title was tarnished slightly, as I saw more and more people begin to match my intelligence and grades. This year I am exposed to a whole new array of brilliant minds, many of whom outshine my own abilities with ease. I realize that the title of the “smartest person in the school” will be fully demolished in a University. This does not make me try less, however. Instead, I am more motivated than ever to match the excellence of my fellow students, and will continue to do this throughout college and, eventually, my career.
There are many opportunities given to students as they rise through the ranks of the education system. They become more arbitrary as the students’ minds mature. The fact that students may choose to take whatever classes they wish enhances the overall effectiveness of the system. In the end, it is up to the student, not a parent or teacher, to guide themselves in their lives and to pursue their own interests. As I have grown, I have learned that life itself appears to be a “Chem 20 factor.”
No comments:
Post a Comment